Mental Health and Wellbeing
Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and act. It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make choices. Mental health is important at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood.
Many of us will experience mental health problems at some stage and it is important to remember that there is help available from a number of different sources and organisations.
The information on this page is designed to help both those suffering with mental health problems and also family members, friends, carers and others. Please use the links below to find out more about each service and what they can offer.
- NHS Mental Health Advice: Visit the NHS website and find out how to access mental health services.
- Every Mind Matters – This NHS page will help you discover simple steps to look after your mental health and get you started with a free online plan designed to help you deal with stress and anxiety, boost your mood, improve your sleep and feel more in control.
Children & Young People
- Mind You – This is the mental health and emotional wellbeing website for children and young people living in South Gloucestershire. You can learn more about mental health and find out where you can go in your local area if you need help. There is also helpful information for parents and carers.
- Kooth – This is a free, safe and anonymous online counselling and support service for young people aged 11 – 18 in South Gloucestershire. Staffed by fully trained and qualified counsellors, the service is available until 10pm each night, 365 days per year.
- ‘Off the Record’ – This local organisation delivers free confidential and easy to access counselling for young people aged 11 – 15 in this area.
- Happy Maps – This is a really helpful website for parents and carers who may be concerned about their child’s mental health and behaviour. Broken down by age group, parents can find help and support on a variety of issues including anxiety, bullying, eating disorders, self harm and much more.
Adult Mental Health
- VitaMinds – This organisation provides free and confidential talking therapies to individuals in Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire. You can contact them directly on 0333 200 1893 or a GP can refer you to this service.
- Changes Bristol – This is a peer support group for anyone aged 18 and over who may be feeling that things are getting on top of them and stress and anxiety are getting too much. The groups are free to access and offer a safe and friendly space for people to share their worries.
- Bristol Mind – This is a mental health resource for people in Bristol and surrounding areas. Amongst other services they offer a free emotional support listening service for anyone who needs to talk about mental health, feelings of loneliness, anger, depression etc. Whatever you want to talk about, they will listen. Call free on 0808 808 0330.
- Mothers for Mothers – This is a support group for mothers, ran by mothers, who may be suffering with post natal depression. They can offer support, advice and information as well as a listening ear when mothers need one.
- Mindline Trans+ – This is a UK wide service offering a confidential, non-judgemental listening space for people who identify as Trans+, non-binary and their friends and families to talk. The trained listeners who all identify as trans, non-binary or gender fluid can offer support as well as signposting and other information.
- Access to Work Mental Health Support Service – If you are struggling with a mental health condition which affects you at work, you can access confidential advice and support that will help you identify coping strategies, develop a step-by-step plan to get you back on track and receive advice on any adjustments that could be made to help make your time at work easier.
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.